We offer unique career opportunities to build the Asia’s fastest-growing financial platform
Legal Counsel – Hong Kong
CompareAsiaGroup helps people across Asia save time and make better choices with comprehensive, free and independent online comparison tools for personal loans, credit cards, insurance and home services. Headquartered in Hong Kong, CompareAsiaGroup is active in seven Asian markets including Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand. The Group has established relationships with over 100 leading financial institutions and employs more than 200 people. CompareAsiaGroup has raised more than USD 90 million from leading investors including IFC (part of the World Bank Group), Goldman Sachs, Alibaba, SBI Group, ACE & Company, and H&Q Asia Pacific.
Join one of the fastest growing, young enterprises in Asia as we revolutionize the financial and insurance industries through technology.
About the job
As Legal Counsel, you’ll work closely with all teams across CompareAsiaGroup’s business, including technology, marketing, product and finance/operations.
The products and services being built by CompareAsiaGroup often lead to legal questions and challenges which do not have a straightforward or previously considered solution. This means that the Legal Team are often required to find creative and practical answers. If you like being challenged by new issues and working in a fast-paced environment, then this role could be for you.
Responsibilities will depend on experience (e.g. commercial contracts & data privacy / corporate/M&A) but will generally include:
- Supporting commercial, marketing, product, technology and finance/operations teams as they strive to build Asia’s leading personal financial management platform for banking & insurance – and mitigating risks across all areas of the business.
- Managing commercial agreements.
- Drafting and maintaining template agreements.
- Creating, reviewing, implementing and managing policies.
- Providing support in corporate transactions (e.g. investments/fundraising).
- Finding, instructing and managing external legal counsel across the jurisdictions in which CompareAsiaGroup operates.
- Developing strategies and finding/implementing tools/processes to make the legal function more efficient.
- Managing the intellectual property of the business (trademarks, IP agreements, patents etc.)
Minimum qualifications and abilities:
- Law / business degree and admitted to practice law.
- A minimum of two years of post-qualification/admission experience, working in a law firm or an in-house legal team.
- Ability to:
- be flexible in a fast-paced environment with limited direction,
- balance competing priorities, and
- manage several time-sensitive projects at once.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with the ability to manage a high-volume and variety of projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate idiomatically in English.
- Ability to work independently without a lot of administrative support.
- Team player with a positive attitude.
- A bias for action and taking ownership.
- Not mandatory but good to have – experience in advising technology/digital businesses in the financial and/or insurance sector.
The role’s coverage will depend on the candidate’s experience, but one of the following will be required:
Commercial Contracts and Data Privacy
- Experience in negotiating, drafting and advising clients on technology-related commercial contracts, including multi-jurisdictional transactions.
- Experience of advising on data protection issues, marketing issues, consumer protection issues and information security issues.
- Broad experience of intellectual property law.
- Experience in advising on corporate governance and related documents (e.g. shareholders agreements, articles of association).
- Comfortable advising senior management / company directors on corporate governance matters generally.
- Experience in investment transactions.
- Experience advising on and dealing with company secretarial matters.
What can you expect from us?
- Join a fantastic team: Work with the top management of the company, with backgrounds from leading consulting, banking and start-up companies (Riot Games, Google, Carousell, Grab, HSBC, Standard Chartered)
- Learn: Work with a team with a proven track-record of building successful internet companies
- Have fun: A challenging, fun and international environment
- Grow: Opportunities for further career advancements, either within the regional group or in one of our country teams